Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My one year old nephew

One year ago, on October 27th 2006, Stephen and I were interrupted in the middle of a movie with the news - Tobin Grey Woodard had arrived. It was late at night, but we were one of the very few people that were able to visit our new nephew that evening. I looked at Jenny - tired, but accomplished. With an amazing feat, she became a mom. What she had just succeeded in doing blew my mind.

And that was one year ago. He is now walking, talking - it seems impossible that this one year old boy is the same tiny baby boy that I held in my arms and first introduced myself as Auntie Brie (and Phil introduced Uncle Steve as "your future math tutor"). He is an amazing little man - not surprising considering that he has amazing parents.

His birthday party was a ton of fun. Jenny had the best idea - she bought a bunch of blank canvases, paint, and brushes, and invited guests to paint away. Later she will frame them and hang them in Toby's room as a reminder of his first birthday and all those that love him. We even let the kids at it. It was smart that we had them take turns - I could only imagine that they would be much more interested in painting each other than the canvas. Catherine took a little while to get into it - but when she did, wow did she! She was having so much fun, and was doing more like body-painting than simply finger painting. Phil observed that the kids did better paintings than anyone. ;)

On the same day I got to spend some time with my mom on the day that was important for another reason. She has been going through a really tough time, I love that I was able to be there for her. We have a wonderful mother-daughter relationship, and the times that I can be a friend for her instead of "just" a daughter are precious to me. I hope that she got some peace and happiness out of the day.

Pictures to come soon!

No comments: