Thursday, April 10, 2008

Regaining control

As soon as the dust settled from my most recent class, I looked around at my life and wondered what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks happened. I'm glad that I've been able to be so focused on being a student and a mom, but many things sacrificed. So now that I am officially on spring/summer break, I've vowed to regain control in several areas.

My house: the yard is a disaster, and things have become very unorganized and easily messy around here. I'm getting our papers in order and doing a lot of catch up work around the house.

My health and well being: I've started a different food plan (the core plan for those familiar with WW). It requires eating only foods from a specific list and using a weekly allowance to eat foods not on the list. It's super tough, but I love it. I'm eating tons more fruits and veggies. I'm also working out. Wow, I know. But I want to do the whole package. It's a constant struggle against my laziness, but it's worth it. And I've already lost 5 pounds! If I keep going, I should be able to lose 30 pounds before our Europe trip!

My/our finances: I'm sticking to my committment in working more to enable us to pay for Europe more easily. I'm also upping my committment to being more stict with our budget. We have a plan, I just need to stick with it. Again addressing my problem with willpower.

My friendships: I feel like I have been so lazy with my committment to my friends. I keep saying that I'll call or we'll get together. Well, I have to realize that even though Catherine is a lovely distraction, I do have a bit more time on my hands to do these things - I just need to do it! I love my friends and I do not want them to forget that!

My hobbies: When I have the time, I want to make a committment to doing some of the simple things that I love doing just for me. I want to start taking more pictures of Catherine, even if there's no special event or holiday. I don't want to forget these days passing by. And doing my scrapbooking more - it's been months and I have some catching up to do!

My marriage: Yes, unfortunately even this has suffered a little. We're still doing really well of course, but I feel bad that I haven't been quite all there for my loving and patient husband as much as I could have.

Other: I'm taking on the role of organizing a yard sale for a fundraiser for our Europe trip. And I'm helping Jen organize getting Tshirts to sell for another fundraiser. And not to mention all of the things that need to get in order before our trip. All will happen.

It sounds like a lot - it is. But it needs to happen. The only thing standing in the way is me.

No comments: