Saturday, June 7, 2008

World of comprehension

The most recent huge development that I've noticed with Catherine is her comprehension. It seems to have skyrocketed overnight. She recognizes so many objects and can connect the words with them. I almost cried with pride when we were reading a book together and I asked "where's the teddy bear?" And she pointed to the teddy bear. What? When did this happen? I turned the page. "Where's the apple?" She pointed to the apple. Over and over again.

She recognizes animals and will make the sign for them - if she can't say the word. She can say "dog" so when she sees a dog she'll sometimes say it.

When she was playing with her toys the other night, she picked up a big bouncy ball, deliberately pointed to it and said "ball". Then she peeked up at me, and I said "that's right honey - ball!" Her smile beamed ear to ear. So funny. And so amazing.

OK, so you may think that it's such a small thing. So the kid points to a dog and says "dog" - big deal, right? Maybe you don't see that - maybe you see the significance. If you're a parent, you really get it. It's such a matter of pride. And such a sense of accomplishment. You think "did I really impart wisdom on this little one?" There's nothing better in the world.

Another game is the body part naming game. "Where's your ear?" She points to her ear. "Where's your nose?" She points to my nose. "Silly - that's mommy's nose! Where's your nose?" She points to her nose. Our favorite is "where's your tummy?" because she lifts up her shirt and points to her tummy - and then she gets TICKLED! She giggles like mad and we do it all over again. She can be so much FUN!

2 comments:

TahoeKaren said...

Aren't kids great??!! And wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to view the world through children's eyes now and then?
These are they days you will remember forever. Enjoy them and cherish them for they happen only once.
Much love,
Aunt Karen

Mom said...

my dear little momma/daughter,
like Aunt Karen said "these are the days you will remember". so true. I still remember days just like you've been having shared with you and Valerie. what treasured memories they are!!! I can't believe how fast Catherine is growing up! I can hardly wait to spend some lengthy quality Grandma time with her!!!
ENJOY!!
love and hugs, Mom aka GRANDMA