Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Last Supper

The last post of our Europe tour... I promise! It only took a month to get these pictures, jeez!

Our last night in Europe came with a ton of mixed emotions. We were so sad to go after falling in love with this beautiful area and making some great new friends. But we (especially Jen and myself) were so ready and anxious to get home to our kids. And to top it off I was so, so tired and exhausted.

A gray sky met us in the morning. We were on the bus in our performance wear, music in hand, and on the way to an early rehearsal with Janos Czifra, Domkappellmeister of Salzburg (director of the choir and orchestra at the Dom Cathedral), and his choir and orchestra. The rehearsal went by faster than expected, and before I knew it I was following the resident choir up the stairs to the choir loft in this amazing cathedral. Just walking in was an amazing, humbling experience.

Getting ready to sing at the mass at Dom Salzburg Cathedral.


The performance went very well. Despite the struggle that we'd been having with the performance piece, Mozart's Credo Mass, it came together and I am now in love with this music. And then just like that, our singing experience in Europe was over.


From the choir loft looking out over the cathedral.


During the afternoon I took the opportunity to stay at the hotel to rest. I was able to get a little head start packing, since we were leaving that evening, and I got to NAP! Finally! I missed the chance to go to Hellbrunn Palace, but because of the stormy weather that day I didn't miss too much.


So Stephen was out on his own with Phil, Greg, and our guide and friend, Pascal. Jen was the lone supervisor. I word it this way because they went to St. Augustine Brewery, or Augustinabrau. And they had beer. And a lot of it. Greg was able to hold his beer much better than the other 3, or at least not show much sign of inhebriation. The other 3 guys however were referred to the rest of the evening either as the 3 drunk boys, or the 3 drunkateers. It was simultaneously annoying and amusing. Especially since we were on the bus heading through winding mountain roads heading up to Zisteralm, a lovely traditional Austrian hotel for music, food and dancing. Oy vey.


Greg and the 3 drunkateers at Augustinabrau.



The evening was a lovely punctuation mark for our trip. Up in the hills above the city, at this great hotel/restaurant that emminating all that is Austria. Complete with a 6 piece polka-style Austrian band and a bunch of traditional Austrian dancers. And then it's announced that they want us to dance with them. Some groaned, some cheered.



The dancers showing off some of their moves.

Throughout the rest of the evening, the dancers would come into the audience seated at tables around the rather small dancing area and bravely ask an American to dance with them. I was so excited to get up there, and I had so much fun! Almost everyone from our group danced, including all of the drunk boys. Except for Greg, who managed to hide as soon as they were picking folks to dance and didn't reappear until he thought it was over.


That's me on the left! Yea! And yes, he's wearing lederhosen. Too cool!

Do not adjust your screen. Pinch yourself if you want, but it's true. That is Phil dancing. =)

Taking a moment to go outside, looking out over the foggy hills and barely seeing the lights of the city below, I took a moment to take it all in. The next day I would see Catherine again. I couldn't wait. But I didn't want to leave. It's difficult to have such an amazing experience come to a close. Auf Wiedersehen, Österreich. We will come and see you again.The hills truly are alive in Salzburg.

No comments: