Wednesday, August 6, 2008

18 months

Amid all of the excitement we've had in the past week with a ton of visitng, traveling, and birthdays, I nearly forgot that my baby turned 18 months! A letter from mommy to daughter...

My dear Catherine,

My, how time flies. I am sure you will hear me say that a lot during your life. Some day you may get tired of me saying it. I can hear it now: "maw-awm!" (That's "mom" with 2 syllables.)

But I will never tire from saying it. It's true. You're growing up so fast. It wasn't long ago that you were being carried in mommy's tummy, or being held as a tiny baby with those tiny toes, or being helped with those first steps.

Not like you've needed help for anything. You're such an independent little girl, and you always have been. You make it clear when you are doing perfectly fine on your own. I personally love that you are now good at making it clear when you would like help. I ask if you need help when you are struggling with something before just jumping in; sometimes you'll say a firm but cute "no!", but other times you give me a grateful look and say "help".

To be needed and loved are wonderful feelings as parents. You grant us with the feeling of pride, watching you do things on your own, but we also get the feeling of love when you come running for us. You now know that mommy's kiss makes anything better, and that running for daddy when he gets home gives him a big smile. He sure loves his baby girl, just like you love him.

And I love how affectionate you are now! You give the best hugs and kisses, and there's no shortage of them being returned!

Out of all of the words in your ever-expanding vocabulary, "mommy", "daddy", and "puppy" are your favorite words now. Every day you are saying new things, and you're even starting to learn some letters! But you understand so much more than you can say, that I know for sure. You are so keen on listening to me and to others - unless you're busy with other important things of course.

There are many things that daddy and I still need to learn, but we do our best to give you everything you need: love, support, understanding, teaching, and discipline when needed.

As we continue to learn together, I promise:

- to love you unconditionally, no matter how frustrating those tough moments can be,
- to be better at taking you to church and teaching you of God's love,
- to continue working at that discipline thing - you don't like it and neither do I, but I know you need it,
- to keep an open mind and let you blossom into the wonderful person that you make yourself to be, and that God has already made you to be.

More than anything, my dear little girl, I hope you know how much I love you, and I won't ever stop making sure that you don't forget it.

Love and hugs, Mommy

A couple favorite moments with my 18 month old:

Her quiet, thoughtful look.

When she puts on sunglasses I say "cool baby!" I must have done that enough, because she started putting them on and saying "cool baby!" herself!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Oh Brianna,
you have such a way with words. I have seen how you handle/work with Catherine and my heart and soul burst with pride. you and Stephen are doing such a marvelous job with her! job? no, not a job. well, at times, maybe, but not always. what you are feeling is what I felt while you were growing and learning. it issuch an overwhelming feeling isn't it?? ;> Catherine reminds me a lot of you when you were growing up.....independent and smart - grasping new things fast. amazing isn't it? give that little darling a hug from Grandma!!
all my love always, Mom