Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Genetics

It's pretty clear already that Catherine isn't a morning person. For being so little, she sleeps in until 8-8:30 when it's up to her. Big surprise. Her dad can sleep through anything and does. I was infamous growing up for being impossible to get up in the morning. So much so that my little sis would leave threatening notes on my bedroom door if we needed to get up early for something exciting (I believe it was getting soaked by a water gun that I was threatened with if I didn't get up when expected).

Little clues to our non-morning-liking little girl:

One morning Catherine was just starting to wake up. I happened to be up, so I went in when I heard her fussing. She was still laying down, but when she peeked open a single eye to see me she pulled herself to sitting. And then with a tired look of exasperation, she threw herself back down on the mattress.

Then yesterday morning, Stephen and I were up as he was getting ready for work. "Do you hear that?" Stephen asked. We quietly listened. It was the music from her GloWorm. (it plays a short little tune when its belly is pushed.) The song finished, and Catherine pushed the belly again and another song played. She did it several times, and then was quiet - she went back to sleep.

"Do you realize what she was doing?" Stephen asked.
"No. What?"
"She was hitting the snooze button!"

If there was any doubt before, it's proven now. She truly is our daughter.

2 comments:

ValerieJoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ValerieJoy said...

I specificallly remember Thanksgiving morning in '95.... I tried to wake you up because Mom wanted you out of bed before noon. You wouldn't budge so I threatened you with a bucket of ice water, the garden hose, a cat.. etc... you didn't move. Just a "ugghhh, grumble, grumble, mumble mumble..." So what did I do?? I went into the kitchen and grabbed the turkey neck from our million pound bird. A headless turkey neck shouting: "Gobble Gobble Gobble, Wake up! Wake up!" seemed to do the trick.... mwaa ha ha hah.

Love ya sis.