Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Flooding and icky sicky

Washington is wet and rainy. Nothing new there. But anyone who has lived here knows that the rain is spread out over several months. It rains lightly for days on end. Monday was different. In most places they are saying that it was the most rain ever. EVER. 5" in 24 hours in some places. Raining cats and dogs doesn't cut it - more like raining horses and cows. News of the resulting floods have been spread nationwide. Luckily, we are not in one of the hard hit spots. Our basement has a little water, but there is a gutter that goes around the perimeter, and the water is contained there. Except for the area where it is carpeted, the carpet there is mildly damp. The worst hit area is about 30 miles south of us. The floods there are so bad that it has actually shut down I-5. Completely shut down. Anyone wanting to go from Seattle to Portland has to go 400-500 miles out of the way. I've included a scary picture to illustrate. That's I-5 under 10 feet of water. Just nuts.



Last week I got sick - bad cold it seemed. And I lost my voice. Yuck. But I got better - better enough to go up into the snow and still host our girls' party. Now I'm worse. Was a cold - now it feels like the flu. Stephen came down with it yesterday, though it doesn't seem like nearly as bad as me. Catherine seems to have it too, poor thing. But I feel like being whiny and selfish - I'm the one that's sick. Boo for me. I need sympathy. I need sleep. I need to finally feel better. I'm tired of feeling so icky.

No comments: