Wednesday, January 28, 2009

need. vacation. now.

Something to look forward to, though months away: Stephen and I have decided to take a short vacation in July for our wedding anniversary. When we were talking about the possibility, we realized how long it has been since we've taken a trip JUST US. And even just a SINGLE night away just us. Not going with 30 other people and a full itinerary (like Europe last summer), not a family reunion - not visiting anyone, in fact. Just us. It was a while before Catherine was born, I think. Before I was pregnant even? Possibly. She's turning 2 on Monday. It's about damn time.

We're tossing around ideas. Two limitations: time, only 4-5 days. And money, of course. We are really needing to keep it down to a minimum. So likely no airplanes, nothing too fancy.

Idea #1: our favorite of all time, Ashland. But the show tickets might put us over our limit. So we're considering it. Don't know.

Idea #2: (and I haven't told Stephen about this one - I think he might cut it down right away because of the cost) a short, discount-type cruise. There are some good prices out there. Now, is it actually within our budget? Not likely. But I'm looking.

Idea # 3: Vegas, baby. Good rates are definitely available for hotels, but it's dangerous going there with a budget. It is the city of spending money. And flights? Ick. I haven't looked at this one yet. Maybe I shouldn't even try.

Idea #4: we've been there a hundred times, but not for a trip just for us - Oregon Coast. We know the area pretty well, but never having actually stayed there, I'm coming up short for actual direction - like where to stay. I don't know.

So... I know plenty of people that have been out there. Any ideas? Suggestions or recommendations of a place to stay? Known wineries out there?

You have no idea how much I really need this. I wish we didn't have to wait 5 months.

1 comment:

tahoekaren said...

How about going the other direction? Vancouver Island, Vancouver, B.C., Alaska (check out some of those cruises-they should be affordable now). Or even consider the Columbia River Gorge.
Wow, Catherine is already 2 years old! Where does the time go???
Much love,
Aunt Karen