Wednesday, January 14, 2009

sacrifices

I suppose I should see the light at the end of the tunnel. Well, the first of many tunnels, really. But I still expected to see a light. So why is it so dark in here?

I should have expected my class starting again to throw my life upside down. I should have seen it coming. But I didn't. After getting my class schedule on the first day, I nearly had a heart attack. So many projects, assignments, exams... and all scheduled as if the professor had a personal vendetta for me. All "perfectly" scheduled, clashing with birthdays, rehearsals, concerts, and you know, life.

As my heart rate calmed down and my blood pressure returned to normal (well, the typical normal for me these days, still a bit too high. Don't make me go into an anatomical description of why that is), I realized that I had a lot to think about. How important is this class? How do I survive?

The answer: sacrifice. As a result, many changes have been made.

- I'm calming down my birthday party. I was looking forward to a giant, opulent soiree to celebrate my 30th birthday. That's not going to happen. Even with help, I don't have the time or available stress to handle it. So, it will be much more simple, and at home. And I had to cut the guest list practically in half. Bummer.

- I will not be participating in choir this quarter. The performances happened to be placed right before my last exams and finals. No way. I'm not doing that to myself, and it's not fair for the choir either. Another bummer. My Tuesday nights will now be spent studying. Or banging my head on my desk in hopes that the pain will be diverted. I haven't decided.

- I'm going to stick to an allowance of free time. Only so many free nights. Only so many movies. It's going to get in the way of all of my lying around time. Again, we'll see how that goes. I also need to stay focused at home. There's so much to do, still settling down in our new house, but I have to get this class done. Class first, then house.

- And you'll be seeing me less here. I'm sure I'll procrastinate from time to time. But if you don't see a post for some time, you know why. But we do have many other exciting things happening in the next couple of months, so I will have to post something. On my to do list is posting my favorite pictures from the last year. Sort of a "2008: a picture essay". Hey, that sounds like a great title.

Until then, take care and God bless. May the force be with you. And me, too.

3 comments:

CV said...

What class are you taking? Goodness, honey, take care of yourself. And if you need a 5 minute break, I'm here. I work from home so I'm always around for you! xoxo

Ashleigh Peanutpepper said...

Um, I resemble this remark!

Keys to surviving college + parenting + working + having a relationship + having a house with all of those responsibilities, et al:

MAKE time for yourself. It will cut back on procrastination.

MAKE lists and fiendishly take pleasure in crossing things off your list.

PRETEND you like homework. And do it as fervently as you would do something you LOVED. This will buy you time and decrease stress!

Jenny said...

It's tough, but you have to be RUTHLESS about that to-do list. Cut off as much as possible, delegate to husband, and be very choosy about where your free time goes. These classes are your key to a solid employment future with (decent) benefits. It's worth it.