Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Option #5:

Wine country! This is Stephen's request - I'm not sure how this will come together because there is almost too many options. His idea was to go to Willamette Valley, then Rogue River Vally, then Napa Valley, then Santa Barbara area... driving the whole way and driving everywhere in between. Hmmm... I don't know. That's a lot of driving, and spending the whole vacation in the car is really not my idea of relaxation.

But the idea of drinking wine all day every day. That is my idea of relaxation.

So... the option is there.

Experts in the wine country for So Cal? Ideas? Recommendations?

6 comments:

CV said...

I'm going to CALL YOU!! :D We could meet up in San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara!!

Brie said...

Getting down that far will definitely involve a night with you guys. We'll see!

Cindy said...

If you go to the Willamette Valley make sure to stop by King Estates. It's a beautiful winery and some excellent wines.

tahoekaren said...

That's a LOT of driving for only 4-5 days!!
Aunt Karen

CV said...

I haven't been to King Estates, but Cindy reccomended the wine on Matt's birthday a few years ago, and their Pinot was fantastic.

Katie said...

I've gotta be honest, I think King Estates has a beautiful location, but also has overpriced, not all that great wine (I would skip LaVelle for the same reasons). You get equal quality wine for a much better price from Sylvan Ridge/Hinman, Sweet Cheeks, and Territorial. Territorial makes the best local Pinot Noirs (and for a reasonable price), assuming you think a Pinot should have body, colour, and, well, flavour.

And if you both want to actually sample wine, there's no way you can stop in all the wine regions between there and Napa/Sonoma or SB in a week. One person sampling isn't much fun, and DUIs are even less fun. You could park it in McMinneville. There's about 150 vineyards in area, good beer and food--I suggest Golden Valley Brewery.