Friday, November 2, 2007

Halloween boycot

My planned boycot of Halloween almost went off as intended. At the last minute I wound up dressing up Catherine in a cute little costume that had been handed down from a friend and happened to fit her. And I decided that since they were doing a costume contest at work I'd show a little team spirit and show up wearing something fun. Plus it was a chance for me to wear PJs to work - why not? So I dressed head to toe in pink and wore a feather boa - tickled pink! Get it? Ha ha! OK, well I thought it was funny.


Why boycot Halloween? I'm so sick of that holiday. It is the second most commercialized holiday after Christmas. Although I know there is a history behind the actual origin of the holiday, the only point is to fake as if you are someone/thing else, get children high on sugar, and be scared. When really what we should be scared about is all of the problems that the H-word brings. Costume wearing in schools have become more contraversy than fun, and trick or treating has been on the wane due to parents not trusting the safety of their children, let alone all of the other frights that parents have thanks to the stories of poisoned candy and razors in apples.


I don't get into the decorations of spider webs and skulls, I don't like being scared, I could care less about horror movies, I loathe the pressure of having a good costume, and I'm trying to lay off the sweets. What's left when you take away all that? Nothing for me, I say.


Stephen and I have one, maybe two, years until Catherine starts wanting to go Trick or Treating. So I wanted the year off. And except for my last minute, half-hearted effort, I think I managed it.


But rather than deny everyone a cute "baby's first Halloween" picture, here it is. And I have to admit, she's stinkin' adorable.

2 comments:

TahoeKaren said...

You're right!! She is stinkin' adorable. And my little sis is her Grandma.
Love you guys!!
Auntie Karen

CV said...

What a cutie!