Monday, November 26, 2007

Turning disappointment into positive goals

If I haven't mentioned it before, it's worth noting that I have been doing Weight Watchers. I've had no luck doing anything on my own, and I need to do something about my weight. I don't stress about not looking good - I want to be healthy. I want to teach Catherine healthy habits, and how can I expect to do that without living them myself? And the weight... seriously. It needs to go. I'm still not to the point of admitting how much I really weigh. It's a little embarassing. And it's not just "baby weight"; I wasn't doing that great before I had her, either.

I hate "diets". But I decided that if it was going to take something drastic to get to a healthy point with my weight, then it was worth the try. So I found Weight Watchers. And, lo and behold... I like it. It's a flexible plan. They stress that it's not a "diet", it's a lifestyle. They stress eating in moderation, portion size, activity, and getting all the healthy things that you need. I love the online system - great tools, information, and support.

But now I've been doing it for 10 weeks and I'm frustrated. I've lost weight - wahoo! But really hardly at all. And I don't feel like I've made any super changes to my lifestyle. I'm feeling down on myself. Frustrated. I don't want to give up, but I don't feel like it's working.

Honestly, my problem is that I'm not putting my all into it. I realized a while back that if I'm loosing a little weight now, imagine the weight that I will lose once I actually put effort into it! Has that changed my thinking? No. I like that the plan is flexible, but I think it's TOO flexible for me.

Rather than getting disgusted with myself, I'm trying to think positively. So I'm making a pack with myself: I will be good for one week . I mean - it's one week - that's nothing, right? I can do that!

Being good means several things:
- stay within my daily points every day and only use extra weekly points for special occasions (for which there aren't any this week)
- do something active every day, including two lengthly workouts, one of which will be trying out the free gym at work
- drink a freakin' ton of water every day
- eat recommended fruits and veggies every day
- no super unhealthy choices, which means not choosing a doughnut for breakfast just because I "can", or having a candy bar as a snack at night because I have the leftover points so "why not?"

With any luck I'll be feeling better by next Monday, have a great weigh in, and will have the motivation to keep it up.

2 comments:

CV said...

I completely support you in your goals, I'm here for you! It's so hard to be good and make healthy choices when our culture bombards us with "be naughty, you deserve it" advertisements. I have found that I can be good at eating well or good at exercising, but not both, and it's a constant struggle. I have absolute faith in you! I know that once you set a goal, you always meet it. Take it week by week, day by day if you have to. Like we talked about yesterday - baby steps! :)

In words of Rosie: YOU CAN DO IT!

Cindy said...

You are welcome to join our community cooking blog if you want. We try new recipes and then post the recipe with stories and our personal reviews of how they turned out. It's a really good motivator for me to sketch out a meal plan which definitely helps me to eat healthier and more balanced throughout the week. I'm addicted to Cooking Light. They have so many delicious recipes and so healthy too. Let me know if you want to try it out and I'll send you the invitation.