Thursday, May 8, 2008

Growing up in church

This last Sunday, Catherine and I went to mass together. It wasn't exactly the first time, but there's been only once or twice since her baptism over a year ago that we've gone. I've been talking myself out of it for months: the stress of getting her to be quiet and sitting still, chasing her around when she absolutely won't sit still, and not being able to enjoy the experience of mass that I'm used to.

Well, the experience definitely was different and stressful. She didn't want to sit at all and fussed all too much when I even tried to corral her in the pew. I think she liked it though. She liked all the other kids and the new faces. She loved exploring the new space, and was fascinated with the in-ground baptismal font. Of course, she wanted to play in the water and jump right in, but that's OK. That's what I was there for.

I still don't know about going every week. I like taking her, and it's so important to me that she gets the experience and grows up in the church, learning about God, faith, and love. I wish I would have realized when she was so much younger how easy it would have been to take her weekly. She was so much more "portable" then. We'll see. I need a bit of encouragement to keep at it, and hopefully I can get Stephen to come with me a few times.


Christian Myspace Layouts

No comments: