Sunday, May 25, 2008

test of parenting

Starting Friday morning, Catherine has been sick. And the way that you don't really want to be sick, let alone see your child be sick. She had over 24 hours of not keeping any liquids down, and then was getting better. She still wasn't eating anything, but was able to keep liquids down for almost 16 hours.

Then today, although she wasn't throwing up, she started having a high fever and being very lethargic and irritable. My goodness, I know that when I'm sick like that I'm irritable and just want to lay around, too, so I feel for her. She's been very clingy, wanting to be held and sleeping on my chest. Like she did when she was first born, though now she is much, much bigger. She used to fit with her head just under my chin and her feet barely reaching my belly; now she sprawls out all over me.

This afternoon she started getting a little better. She's not wanting to drink anything right now, but she's not showing any signs of dehydration, so she's OK. And then she was playing for a few hours on her own, smiling and laughing again. Hopefully that's a sign that she won't be getting worse, but will be getting better instead. Your thoughts and prayers would be much appreciated.

No comments: