Sunday, November 30, 2008

Death to Ticketmaster

Had a mentioned that we were planning on seeing Robin Williams this next weekend?

Emphasis on the "were". Past tense.

I have been looking forward to this for so long. The six of us (me, Stephen, Jen, Phil, Mike and Heather) got tickets 2+ months ago and paid a few nice shiny pennies for them.

Then I checked my account yesterday. There's 2 separate refunds from Ticketmaster. I freaked because I originally thought that the show had been cancelled. That would be horrible.

I was wrong. It was worse.

I called them, furious of course. Ticketmaster cancelled both orders for our tickets. 8 days before the event. Without warning, without questioning.

OK, so I know there's a 4 ticket per household rule. I purchased 4 tickets on one order and 2 on the other. But it let me complete both transactions. I even got the tickets in my hands. If they weren't going to let me do it, they shouldn't have let me process that second transaction. I wouldn't have been surprised to see an error message pop up "you have passed your ticket limit". That would have been inconvient, but no big deal. I would have called one of the other guys and barked at them to get the tickets NOW so that we could still go together. But to let me purchase and pick up the tickets and then cancel both orders just days before the event. Totally, utterly, indisputably ridiculous.

The gal that I talked with was even baffled because she knows this happens, but she couldn't understand why both orders were cancelled. They should have let us keep at least the 4 tickets. But there's nothing they can do to reverse it because both shows are sold out. As soon as our tickets became "available" they were gone within minutes. She apologized, but offered me absolutely nothing in return.

I kept my cool with her, but I was audibly crying by the time I got off the phone. It took me over an hour to calm down, and I still feel like jumping in front of a bus when I think about it.

So we aren't going. Death to Ticketmaster.

No comments: