Tuesday, July 22, 2008

100% mom moment

At the end of the day, I was washing dishes while making dinner, and Catherine was running around at knee level. Usually she's excellent at playing on her own, but apparently she decided she had enough of not getting attention from me. She tugged hard on my pant leg, and when that wasn't enough she pushed and pushed at my leg until I was compelled to turn and face her. And then she threw her arms around my legs and grinned up at me.

There I was, washing dishes and making mac and cheese with hot dogs and veggies (a staple of motherhood), and my young daughter was tugging at my leg to beg for attention. I swear, if I had an apron on she would have been tugging at my apron strings. I realized that mothers for generations back have likely had the same exact moment. Details may have changed, but I can imagine that for centuries moms have had a moment when tending to the home and meals, and their small child has tugged on their dress or apron (or loincloth?) to get attention.

And it warms my heart. A moment when I feel 100% mommy.

2 comments:

Mom said...

oh "little mama"!!! what a precious moment to enjoy and savor! TRUE MOTHERHOOD AT IT'S BEST! 8]

TahoeKaren said...

These are the moments you need to keep in your heart for those "other times" when she is not being so adorable.
Children grow up so fast. These memories will warm your heart when your 'baby' is all grown up.
Much love,
Aunt Karen